The American Gastroenterological Association (AGA) seeks a motivated communications professional to join our team in the role of Communications Manager. This position will be responsible for overseeing AGA’s weekly e-newsletter and supporting content development (articles, blog posts, web content, social media posts) and video projects across the organization, developing and maintaining content on AGA’s website, with a focus on user experience, SEO and analytics and editorial management of a bimonthly print/online magazine, AGA Perspectives.
The ideal candidate will be a strong writer for digital properties, editor and project manager. Experience with web content management systems, Google Analytics, marketing automation systems and AP style are necessary. Content marketing experience is helpful. We are looking for someone with a keen eye for detail, while able to step back and see the big picture. The American Gastroenterological Association seeks candidates whose behaviors are in line with AGA’s Core Values: Innovative, Engaged, Collaborative, and Open.
- Work with colleagues in communications and content areas to develop and manage online content and promote it to members and the public.
- Oversee the organization’s website, www.gastro.org, working with staff across the organization to maintain and update pages. (Requires working with content management software.)
- Edit all news items posted on the website.
- Manage weekly email newsletter, AGA eDigest.
- Maintain organization’s homepage, while following AGA’s visual brand guidelines.
- Promote web content via AGA’s social media platforms.
- Coordinate communications projects across departments.
- Collaborate with designers and developers on updates to website.
- Serve as primary department proofreader and manage freelance assistants.
- Create and implement methods for tracking and evaluating success of projects and web content. Analyze online stats (Google Analytics) on a regular basis and make necessary changes to online properties and/or the communications approach.
- Optimize copy for SEO purposes, and provide SEO guidance to others.
- Serve as managing editor for AGA Perspectives (print and online magazine), including coordinating with authors, proofing manuscripts, routing reviews, copyediting, advertising and promoting content online through agaperspectives.gastro.org.
- Monitor financial status for programs and activities. Ensure that expenditures are appropriately authorized and within budget.
- Promote organizational efficiencies through changes in workflow and business practices.
- Assist others on the team with content development needs, blast emails, video projects and other worked, as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree and four years’ experience in the communications field.
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of HTML and experience with web content management systems.
- Command of AP Style and grammar rules.
- Intermediate understanding and knowledge of how to apply SEO.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics.
- Experience with health/medical/science issues